Present: Gary Saunders (Chair), Stephen Hopkins, David McAleavey, Mike Neary, Joss Winn and Laura Stratford.
Apologies: Sarah Amsler, Vernon Goddard and Andrew McCulloch.
Notes compiled by: Mike Neary
1. Social Science Imagination:
- Mike and Sarah to develop new SSI programme based on lessons learned from last year. To start 3rd October until 12th December, Thurs 7-9pm at Revival Centre, apart from every last Thursday of each month in alternative venue.
2. Raising Awareness:
- Article published in Lincolnite on SSC. We hope to run a regular education column.
- Siren FM radio podcast – to support SSI. Will be pre-recorded and cover sociological themes.
- Cards and posters now designed and being distributed. Joss to develop flyer based on Gary’s work.
- Work with named contact in schools running workshop on higher education.
- Contact local organisations, e.g. Addaction, Probation, Philosophy Cafe, linked to development of maps with local provision.
4. Revival Celebration:
- Agreed to run stall on SSC at Revival celebration at Drill Hall on 21st September.
5. Child Care:
- Mike to check out Home Start for possible support with child care provision for SSC events.
6. Involve Centre, Mint Lane:
- Gary to be signatory for Safeguarding at Involve Centre, Mint Lane.
- Gary to be key holder signatory for Involve Centre, Mint Lane.
7. Radical Philosophy:
- Joss and Gary to work on article about SSC for Radical Philosophy. Will post on Google share. Comments by end of August please.
- Public seminars, including introductory discussion on SSC, arranged September – January:
- 17th September: Reading the Pussy Riot Act.
- 22nd October: Moving the Goalposts: some realities of democratic football governance.
- 12th November: The contradictions of copyright: some essential issues for the peoples of the global South.
- 7th December: What Are You Reading For? Modes of Critique, Modes of Production, and the Pedagogies of Networked Labour
- 15th January: Hacks and spooks: Close encounters of a strange kind.
- Laura Stratford will not be able to attend SSC sessions 2013 -2014. We will miss her and look forward to her return.