Minutes from general meeting 2nd May 2015

SSC minutes

Saturday, 02 May 2015

Present:  Sarah, Gracie, Joss, Mike, David, Stephen, Andrea, Peaceful, Laura

Apologies: Martha, Gerrard, Lucy, Andrew, Paul, Wendy

  1. Last meeting’s minutes
  1. Matters arising

London Met archivists can’t do date suggested.  Mike will email round to suggest alternative date.

  1. Plan for AGM  

Croft Street Community Centre booked, 11am-4pm

Agenda

11am – business (look at constitution, business plan & financial report, discuss possible role for paid coordinator, agree what we will do this year to progress discussion around role of consensus and supporting new members, agree dates for new member welcome meetings);

12 noon – Bring & Share lunch;

1pm – Talks by Tony Jeffs,  Bob Cannell (Suma workers Coop), Andrew Jackson (Bishop Grosseteste);

Questions and discussion with speakers;

3:30pm – Reflect on implications for SSC.

Joss will record event and take minutes.

Mike will check that venue has a screen for Andrew Jackson’s presentation.

David will bring a projector.

Mike will send link to constitution for people to read beforehand and bring paper copies on the day.

Mike & Stephen will bring pens & flipchart.

Mike proposes Sarah as Chair for AGM, Joss seconded.

It was noted that we have three white men as speakers at AGM!  The women speakers we invited were unable to attend.   Peaceful suggested inviting Angela to speak.  Joss will email Angela to invite her to speak.

Members & Membership

Joss wrote a paper about SSC membership which was discussed and resulted in a working group. However, the working group has not yet met to develop better support for new members. We agreed to organise four meetings a year to welcome new members – dates and details to be agreed at AGM.

Statement of Values

Need to look at how we can deal with dis-census.  It was suggested we ask Bob Cannell about this at AGM.

Status & Role of monthly general meeting

We congratulated ourselves on being much better at organising our meetings, and increasing to twice-monthly meetings!

Andrew stood down as secretary.  Mike has taken this role over.  Need to record role & responsibilities of secretary in central place where new members can access it.

We had a discussion about how new members can get involved.

Business plan/statement doesn’t reflect SSC, and needs re-visiting.  Suggested to bring it to forthcoming Cooperative Governance workshop for discussion.

Childcare working group: we looked into it and we can do it! We need people to give advance notice of bringing a child to AGM so that we can make appropriate provision for them.

Curriculum design:  We agreed that we’re doing this much better now!

Accommodation:  Offered to join LincolnShare

  1. Paid Coordinator

Need to look at financial report to consider ability to pay a coordinator.  Add to agenda for AGM.

  1. SSC Independent Social Research Foundation Project

Joss has advertised it widely, to a few hundred people via email and also via twitter.  About 40 people have responded to say they would like to participate.

Mike & Joss working on June & July workshops (on Pedagogy and  Governance ) – soon to be finalised.

Funding will be used to enable experts to come who otherwise wouldn’t be able to.

Question over appropriate numbers – aim is to get a lot of work done in a day.

Ethics form went through – no problems.

Students For Cooperation invite us to hold a workshop at their National Meeting.

Request by a member for financial help to come to Workshops:

Should we use SSC funds to give Financial support to enable members to participate in workshops?  Agreed to invite donations for a solidarity fund – advertise before AGM.  Donate by paypal via website.

It’s an SSC project, but funding is via the university.  There is a conversation to be had around how the project relates to the direction of the SSC, and the (shifting) relationship between SSC and university.  Need to discuss in greater detail around how members can apply for funding.

  1. Report on Know How sessions

Final class next week; many sessions have been well attended; people have appreciated the structure; interesting to have each class focussed on a different person’s research – we’re all doing, or wanting to do, research.  Laura proposed a scheduled “emergent” session each month next term.

Curriculum Day – Sunday 26th July, midday-4pm at Mint Lane – Bring a picnic!

  1. London Met Archive & May Day Rooms – Mike continuing to arrange date for visit.
  1. Short courses/ scholarship workshops

Short courses on Marx & Marxism & Feminist Social Imagination in June/July  – to be advertised and people sign up.  Sarah will send out an email; David to share with Framework.

Darcy Leigh – Radical Higher Education & anti-colonial projects in the Canadian Arctic.  21st May, 7pm at Mint Lane.

AOB

Rent – Some emails haven’t got through to Stephen.  Stephen will email Mike so he can send an invoice.

Congratulations to Joss, who submitted his PhD this week!

Congratulations to Sarah who had her book published – celebrate Friday 26th June (Andrea to organise)

Sarah asked Gracie’s help to think of ways to make SSC meetings more fun for children.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *