September general public meeting notes

The minutes and financial statement from our September 6th general meeting are below and can be downloaded here:

SSC notes September 6th 2014

Financial Report Sept 2014

SSC Planning Meeting

Time: 12 noon, Saturday 6th September, 2014

Venue: Croft Street Community Centre

Present: Andrew, Paul, Gerard, Jade, Sarah, David, Joss,   Martha, Mike, Neil, Maria Kety Gordon

Apologies: Wendy, Gary, Laura, Richard, Peaceful, Lucy, Stephen.

Observers

The meeting was joined by colleagues from the University of the West of Scotland (UWS). They had come to Lincoln to find out about the work of the SSC. They are thinking of setting up a similar initiative outside their own institution, as well as carrying through with some of the associated ideas inside UWS based on their own approach to Student as Producer.

We spent the first part of the meeting telling them about our principles and activities, and were fascinated to hear about the work that they are doing in Scotland. We resolved to keep in touch after the meeting and to find ways of working together.

The second part of the meeting focussed on our meeting agenda. Colleagues from UWS remained as observers, and sometimes added to the discussion.

Accommodation

We agreed to publicise our work on the Croft Street Community Centre website , and to attend the Centres Open day on the 22nd of September. The SSC does not have its own premises and is an independent autonomous organisation not affiliated with any other organisation in Lincoln. At the moment we enjoy making use of other premises around the City. We are looking forward to being more involved with the recently opened Lincoln Share premises and to holding meetings and running events in their new space.

Child care and accessibility

All agreed this is a key issue for the SSC. We want to make our activities as accessible as possible for parents and carers and the children and other for whom they are responsible. We received a report from Sarah on the work of the working group so far. Sarah informed us of the legal implications and liabilities of providing child care facilities. We discussed the benefits and drawbacks of members of the SSC registering with the Disclosure and Barring Service as well as gaining First Aid qualifications and registering with OFSTED. These matter sto be discussed at next meeting when decisions about how to proceed will be taken.

Curriculum Development Planning

We reminded ourselves about the Curriculum Development Planning day and the decisions we had taken. We all agreed to proceed in the way that had been suggested at the planning event: this year’s course to be a research-based curriculum.

Mike and Gerard are to deliver the course this term. This is to be a research-based curriculum organised around an issue to be decided by those involved in the course. As the course is taking place in the Croft Street Community Centre it was felt that the issue could well be a local matter relating to Abbey Ward, the part of the city in which the community centre is located.

MN to write an outline of the course for comments and publicise the course locally. It was agreed that it would be good to advertise the course at the Open Event on the 22nd of September. MN will make contact with other groups operating in Abbey Ward, e.g., Development Plus to ask for advice, support and as a way to plug into local networks.

Membership of the SSC

Joss to redraft proposals for applying for membership to the SSC, based on comments on an earlier draft and discussions from previous meetings and on-line comments. Joss will circulate this paper for further discussion so we can hopefully resolve this matter at the next meeting in October.

Statement of Values

An updated Statement of Values has been rewritten by Andrew. He will send out this redrafted statement again prior to next meeting so we can consider it before confirming it or not at the meeting in October.

Democratic decision making

Paper to be presented for discussion by Sarah and Gary at the November meeting

Business Plan

Mike to finalise draft of Business Plan once the membership issue has been resolved.

Financial report

We have £1426. 89 in the bank

The meeting closed at 2pm.

MN

12.09.14

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *