Re-imagining the university: the radical potential of Higher Education at a time of crisis

Social Science Centre Public Lecture
27 September 2012

The radical potential of higher education is the theme of a public lecture to be given on 27 September at the Collection by Professor Michael Fielding to mark the start of classes of the Social Science Centre in Lincoln.

Professor Fielding, of London University’s Institute of Education, is internationally known for his work in the fields of radical education, student voice, school leadership and professional learning. In his talk he will explore some of these areas in the context of radical innovations such as the Social Science Centre (SSC).

The SSC, which is launching its courses at 6 pm on 2 October at the Angel Coffee House, Free School Lane, Lincoln LN2, provides an opportunity for students and scholars to engage in a co-operative experience of higher education. Run as a not-for-profit co-operative, the Centre is managed on democratic principles with all having equal involvement in how it is organised. The subjects taught at the Centre are core to the social sciences such as Sociology, Politics and Philosophy. All SSC courses are at university level and are taught by experienced scholars who have an interest in developing new approaches to higher education.

People are invited to attend the public lecture to find out more about the SSC and how to become a member of the Centre, studying, researching and designing curricula.

Update: slides and podcast from the lecture are now available here.

2 thoughts on “Re-imagining the university: the radical potential of Higher Education at a time of crisis